I offer placenta encapsulation to all mothers, whether I serve as their doula or not.
Mothers who choose to have their placenta encapsulated report:
- decreased occurrence of baby blues and postpartum depression
- increased milk supply
- lessened postpartum bleeding
- increased energy
- replenished iron levels
There are two methods of encapsulation that I believe promote the best balance and healing. You may choose either method or opt for half-and-half preparation.
TRADITIONAL CHINESE METHOD (TCM)
This method draws on customs that are thousands of years old. The placenta is cleaned well, steamed with ginger and lemon to release enzymes, thinly sliced and dehydrated overnight. It is then ground and encapsulated into vegetarian capsules. Mothers are encouraged to eat warming foods. Women report a balancing effect when consuming TCM-prepared capsules.
RAW-FOOD, DEHYDRATED METHOD
The placenta is cleaned well, thinly sliced and dehydrated for 24 hours. Then it is powdered and encapsulated into vegetarian capsules. The raw method seems to produce more of a stimulating effect. Women report that the capsules really impact their mood and energy levels. However, the raw method capsules do not maintain their potency for as long as TCM-prepared capsules. These will likely last no more than 2 years, frozen.
I believe in the transfer of energy. For this reason, I prepare the placenta with a calm, grounded heart to promote the best healing possible.
I follow OSHA-established guidelines for preparing and handling your placenta using sterilized and specific equipment. I cannot guarantee the results of consuming your placenta.
Placenta Encapsulation: $300 ($25 discount for doula clients)
Half & half: $325
- Placenta Tincture –Prolong the life of the placenta and increase your energetic boost. 3-5 drops can be placed in a glass of water or directly onto the tongue during times of stress, anxiety and depression. 2oz. dropper bottle. $30
- Placenta Salve – A nourishing salve that can be used on cesarean birth incision after the wound is closed (at least one week) or for minor cuts/burns/diaper rash/skin irritations. Contains coconut oil, almond oil, calendula, comfrey, lavender, beeswax, and dehydrated placenta powder. 4 oz. jar. $30
- Placenta Truffles – Perhaps the yummiest way to eat your placenta! Made with organic ingredients and responsibly sourced chocolate. 1 dozen. $30
- Raw Placenta Smoothie – Prepared when I pick up the placenta. Made with organic berries, almond milk and honey. $30
- Raw Pieces – Seven raw pieces to make smoothies for one week. No Charge.
When you decide to encapsulate your placenta, email me to register. A non-refundable deposit ($50) is due when services are booked. The balance is due upon delivery of the finished placenta products. You will need to speak with your care provider about taking your placenta home. Most hospitals in our area require a simple waiver to be signed.
When you go into labor, have someone text or call to notify me. Take a cooler with you to the hospital (large enough to fit a gallon of ice cream). I will pick up the placenta 12-24 hours after you’ve delivered. Turnaround time is 24-72 hours from the time of pick-up.